Wednesday, August 24, 2005

.

Things are not what they seem;
Nor are they otherwise.

- Lankavatara Sutra



Zen does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God
while one is peeling the potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes

- Allan Watts



Rest in natural great peace this exhausted mind,
Beaten helpless by karma and neurotic thoughts
Like the relentless fury of the pounding waves
In the infinite ocean of samsara.
Rest in natural great peace.

- Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche



The mind is very difficult to see,
Very delicate and subtle;
It moves and lands wherever it pleases.
The wise one should guard his mind,
For a guarded mind brings happiness.

Dhammapada
Translated by Daw Mya Tin



A life-time is not what's between,
The moments of birth and death.
A life-time is one moment,
Between my two little breaths.

The present, the here, the now,
That's all the life I get,
I live each moment in full,
In kindness, in peace, without regret.

- Chade Meng, One Moment



Long seeking it through others,
I was far from reaching it.
Now I go by myself;
I meet it everywhere.
It is just I myself,
And I am not itself.
Understanding this way,
I can be as I am.

- Tung-Shan (806-869)



Only insentient beings hear the sermon of insentient beings;
Walls and fences cannot instruct the grasses and trees to
actualize spring,
Yet they reveal the spiritual without intention, just by being
what they are,
So too with mountains, rivers, sun, moon, and stars.

- Dogen





Taoist Poetry, Zen Verse, Chan Poems, Quotes, Poetry, Sayings, Quips, Koans - #8.�� .

No comments: