Monday, March 08, 2010

The Dagger





By Mirabai
(1498 - 1565?)

English version by Robert Bly


The Dark One threw me a glance like a dagger today.
Since that moment, I am insane; I can't find my body.
The pain has gone through my arms and legs, and I can't find my mind.
At least three of my friends are completely mad.
I know the thrower of daggers well; he enjoys roving the woods.
The partridge loves the moon; and the lamplight pulls in the moth.
You know, for the fish, water is precious; without it, the fish dies.
If he is gone, how shall I live? I can't live without him.
Go and speak to the dagger-thrower: Say, Mira belongs to you.



























No tongue can tell Your secret

By Hakim Sanai
(1044? - 1150?)

English version by Priya Hemenway



No tongue can tell Your secret
for the measure of the word obscures Your nature.
But the gift of the ear
is that it hears
what the tongue cannot tell.
























http://www.poetry-chaikhana.com/







No comments: